Finance Director – Scarborough, ME
Posted on: Sept 26 2022 – 9:25am
About the Town of Scarborough
With its stunning coastline and marshes, diverse mix of commercial and residential properties, and convenient proximity to Portland and I-95, Scarborough boasts itself as a prosperous place to live, work and recreate. Like many neighboring communities, Scarborough has experienced growth and managed development over the past decade, contributing to a more robust economy and population to serve. This is a pivotal time to join the Town’s esteemed team of staff who are at the heart of supporting the needs of our community and protecting the natural landscape. Join the Town of Scarborough to support our impactful work on the physical spaces and people who make up our community.
Scarborough is conveniently located in Cumberland County in southern Maine, approximately 7 miles south of the City of Portland. It is a short drive to Portland and the Maine Mall with easy access to the Maine Turnpike, Portland Jetport and passenger rail service to Boston and points south.
About the Position
The Town of Scarborough is seeking an experienced full-time Finance Director to replace the current director who is retiring after 44 years.
This position is responsible for the administrative, supervisory and fiscal work in the overall financial management of the Town. Duties include managing the accounting and auditing functions of Town and School finances, revenue collection, disbursement, capital borrowing, designing financial policies, investing, cash management, budgeting, conducting internal audits, supervision, maintaining liaison with auditors, financial advisors, the school department, banks and the general public, and preparing and administering budgets. This position reports to and is under the general supervision of the Town Manager with considerable independence in accordance with applicable laws and following generally accepted accounting practices.
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration or accounting.
- Minimum five years of professional accounting or auditing experience. Any equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered.
- Minimum of two years supervisory experience.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Public Officer (CPFO) preferred.
- Ability to lead, supervise, manage, motivate and direct the activities of the Finance Department staff.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft products and Google.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to proactively establish and maintain effective working relationships and respond courteously with internal departments and employees; business executives; vendors; federal, state, regional, local agencies and community organizations; and the general public.
- Knowledge of Tyler Munis software products preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience that provides the following knowledge, abilities, and skills may be considered at the discretion of the Town of Scarborough.
The Town of Scarborough is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply online at https://www.applitrack.com/townofscarborough/onlineapp/.
This position is open until filled. When applying, please include the completed online application, resume and a cover letter. The Town of Scarborough offers a competitive salary plus a comprehensive benefits package including healthcare, retirement, paid time off, dental, vision, and other supplemental benefits. For additional information call (207) 730-4025 or email email@example.com.