Finance Director – Town of Essex, VT
Posted on: July 1 2022 – 9:25am
TOWN FINANCE DEPARTMENT
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Town Manager
In general, the regular work hours per week are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. However, hours may vary depending upon needs of the municipality. Attendance at Selectboard meetings as needed or directed.
Performs professional financial and accounting work of a supervisory and participatory nature with responsibility for maintaining financial records, supervising and controlling expenditures of all town funds, and, along with the Town Manager, preparing and presentation of the town budget; data processing systems installation and maintenance; all other related work as required.
- Works under the administrative direction of the Town Manager with duties and responsibilities as defined by state law, town policies and established professional standards.
- Performs highly responsible duties requiring independent judgment in planning, organizing and directing the town’s finances.
- Performs a variety of complex and highly responsible duties in ensuring that all municipal transactions conform to law and to sound municipal accounting practice.
- Supervises up to three Full-Time employees and several Part-Time employees.
- Makes frequent contact with all town departments, and relevant state officials and bureaus; has daily contact with the general public.
- Performs work in an accurate fashion as errors could be costly in terms of improperly authorized expenditures, mismanagement of financial records, mismanagement of investments, and possible legal repercussions.
- Has access to personnel files for employees, and to confidential information on bid proposals and negotiating positions.
- Oversees the maintenance of comprehensive accounting records for the town including cash books, general ledgers for fund accounts, journals, records of debt; ensures compliance with municipal finance laws and best practices.
- Develops and manages financial management systems, methods and techniques for all departments and agencies; assures orderly cash flow of receipts and expenditures, including tax collection and overseeing production of water and sewer bills and collections.
- Supervises expenditures of all town funds; examines vouchers, department bills; reviews and approves payrolls; manages cash position of municipality.
- Oversees the preparation and implementation of the annual budget including General Fund, Special Revenues Funds, Capital Funds, and Enterprise Funds. Handles risk management and accident reports.
- Prepares and manages departmental budget; assists other departments as a financial and accounting advisor; advises the Manager and Selectboard on financial matters as requested.
- Prepare financial statements, monthly and year-end reports, and various special financial reports as requested or required. Plan and coordinate various audits throughout the year. Act as grant administrator for grants awarded to the Town.
- Participate in key Town planning tasks associated with accounting, financial management and data processing systems development. Confer regularly with the Town Treasurer, Town Manager, Town HR Director, and other Town officials and personnel to plan, coordinate and evaluate activities and systems, exchange information, investigate and resolve problems, explain policies and procedures, and the like.
- Remains informed of and up to date with current technical and legal developments in the field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Thorough knowledge of municipal accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of budgetary functions.
- Considerable knowledge of the organization and operation of town departments and of legal controls over municipal finance in Vermont.
- Ability to analyze and interpret accounting and fiscal data and to present reports of findings and recommendations.
- Working knowledge of data processing required.
- Knowledge of risk management required.
- Ability to make oral and written reports. Ability to deal with the town departments and the general public in a tactful, informative way.
- Must be able to accept constructive criticism and have the ability to communicate and work well with others.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in accounting, finance or business administration.
- Three years municipal financing or fund accounting experience.
- Experience with NEMRC preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience strongly preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Inability to meet one or more of these physical or mental requirements will not automatically disqualify a candidate or employee from the position. Upon request for a reasonable accommodation, the organization may be able to adjust or excuse one or more of these requirements, depending on the requirement, the essential functions to which it relates, and the proposed accommodation. For more details, click on the full job description link below.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is typical of the modern office, and is generally quiet to moderately noisy.
- The work environment is typically moderate in temperature. Some outside work is required.
- The above information is intended to describe the general nature of this position and is not to be considered a comprehensive statement of duties, activities, responsibilities and requirements. Additional duties, activities, responsibilities, and requirements may be assigned, with or without notice, at any time.
- This job description is not an employment contract nor is it a promise of work for any specific length of time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
The Town of Essex is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer.